Re: what kernel to use?

tripolar wrote:
package listing on debian is down. I am using
Linux version 2.4.22-1-386 (herbert@gondolin) (gcc version 3.3.2
20030908 (Debian prerelease)) #9 Sat Oct 4 14:30:39 EST 2003

cpu- AMD 2700+ Athlon
ABIT NF7
Nvidia chipset
Nvidia Nforce2
I want to recompile or try new kernel ( if it would be better) so usb
will work- usb webcam, usb printer, usb storage and usb linksys
wirelessnetwork adaptor
I have had all of these working in GNU/Linux before except linksys
wireless adaptor.
I have never used debian kernel utils to compile kernel. just the make
menuconfig way
Would it be better to use debian packages & debian way of installing
kernel?

I think so. Use it all the time:
apt-get install kernel-package

then read man make-kpkg, but generally

make menuconfig and
make-kpkg --revision 1 (or something similar) kernel_image

will get you a .deb file that you dpkg -i
it will install the new kernel in the places needed, then just boot.

Only thing is to remember to do make-kpkg clean if you remake a kernel_image because you changed the configuration.

Hugo.