(New to debian)Need help for this weird network problem!

Hi,

I have this funny networking problem which I can't
seem to
understand.
Please be patient, this is going to be a bit long to
explain :)

I'm setting up this debian (woody r1, but upgraded to
sid,
stable enough for me!) box to run as a second layer of
firewall/gateway for our small office network (one
first
layer + dmz + then a second layer). This box is to
replace
a current firewall which is running on WindowsXP.

(disclaimer: I'm pretty familiar with RH, but have
just
been trying to switch to debian in the last one month
after RH decided to drop. Have been running debian
on a few machines now, including my own Thinkpad).

During the setup, everything is working, both NICs are
doing ok. Then I shut it down to move it to the
location
it's supposed to be at. After booting up, I got a few
weird networking issues:

1- The network interfaces (eth0, eth1) seems to switch
places, depending on the number of cables I plug in
the
cards (one card plugged, or both cards plugged).
E.g., if I plug in only one cable, eth0 is on one
card. If
I plug in both cables, eth0 moves to the other card.
Shouldn't the network interfaces stay static (I don't
remember RH ever do this, as our outer firewall is
running RH9)?

2- Regardless of problem #1, I plugged in both cables.
Now, I can ping machines on the network which eth1
(internal) is connected to, and I can ping machines on
the network which eth0 (external) is connected. Looks
good. The problem is, I can only do ping. No other
protocols work, e.g. http, ftp, etc. BUT I can ssh
into
the box on eth1.

Looks like a route problem. Checked my route, seems
ok to me:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags
Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.20.0     *               255.255.255.0   U
0      0        0 eth1
192.168.10.0    *               255.255.255.0   U
0      0        0 eth0
default         192.168.10.1 0.0.0.0         UG    0
   0        0 eth0

Weird problem. So I decided to put back our XP box
to troubleshoot this debian thingy. I just connect one
cable to eth1 (which obviously switches card again).
And I can still ping from that box to any machine,
including those on the internet. I still can ssh into
the
box, but no other protocol can get out.

As I said, the networking was working fine, as I
upgraded a bunch of things thru apt-get after I
installed
debian, and tested quite bit, including scanning with
nessus, before I decided it's ok to put it to work.

In order to just troubleshoot one card at a time, I
let
down eth0 (ifconfig eth0 down) for now, and worked
on eth1, and put the machine in internal network.
Same problem, I ping any machine anywhere, I can ssh
into the machine, but no other protocol can get out.
(DNS is working though). Oh, and this should have
nothing to do with the firewall rules, as I drop all
rules
during testing.

Traceroute works sporadically on the local network,
works on some machines, not on others. But I can ping.

After shutting down eth0, and put in the default gw
for eth1, here's what "route -n" gives:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags
Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.20.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U
0      0        0 eth1
0.0.0.0         192.168.20.1     0.0.0.0         UG
0      0        0 eth1

Here's some info:

uname -na : Linux base 2.4.22 #1 Wed Nov 19 13:13:23
EST 2003 i686 GNU/Linux
iptables: 1.2.9-1
Network card: Dlink DFE-530TX (via-rhine module)

dmesg file is attached here.

Thanks for any help with this.

kk