Re: RAID question

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Andy Firman wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:41:56AM +0800, Arne Goetje wrote:
> > I have a mainboard (ASUS A7N8X) with onboard SATA controller (SiI 3112A)
> > and am planning to plug in two SATA drives and use RAID 1 (mirroring)
> > on them. Besides telling the controller to use them as a RAID array,
> > what do I have to do on Linux (Debian unstable) to make it recognize
> > the array?
> > Is there any software for linux to detect disk failures on the RAID
> > array, so that I can get alarmed when a drive gets a mad?

generic disk failures ...
	- use SMART, enabled in the kernel and in the bios

- disks doesn't fail as often as a power supply
	-- hint.. add a nice fan for each disk

none of the "onboard raid" stuff worked in the past ... as far as i'm
concerned

if you use hw raid, you're stuck with the sw they give you to
maintain/watch yoru raid system ...

if you use sw raid, you can do anything you want imaginable
within reason to baby sit your raid box

c ya
alvin

my test for a "acceptable(working) raid system"
- install raid
	- make sure yoou use FD raid partition type

- (1) power down, unplug /dev/hda
	- it should boot
	- write a 2GB file to the remaining disk
	wait for it to finish

- (2) power down, reconnect /dev/hda
	- watch it automatically resync the 2GB file

- power down, unplug /dev/hdc
	repeat (1)

- power down, reconnect /dev/hdc
	repeat (2)

.. repeat for each disk ...

==
== if you have to manually touch the disks, config files,
== you do NOT have a raid system
==	- "touch" it to coax it to boot or resync data
==

> > Any documentation on the net?
>
> I am getting ready to install RAID on a Debian server.
>
> Here are 3 references I have gathered so far to prepare:
>
> http://www.james.rcpt.to/programs/debian/raid1/
>
> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html
>
> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Boot+Root+Raid+LILO.html

hw raid