debian install + lvm

I found out something that was bothering me for a while and I finally figured it out.

I was unable to run X-Windows as non-root user.

I was installing Debian with an LVM configuration for the disk.

As part of this config, I was putting /tmp into a LVM partition

/dev/hda1 -> swap
/dev/hda2 -> boot
/dev/hda3 -> root
/dev/hda4 -> LVM -> home, tmp, usr, usr/local, var, opt

the problem I ran into was this:
Do the ABSOLUTE minimum install, then install the lvm modules and a 2.4 kernel. Configure LVM and fstab. When you reboot the new /tmp (/dev/hda4/vg/tmp) will have the wrong permissions and X, man, and others will all fail to run.

I don't think there is any kind of "fix" for this in the installation process as it is today. But I thought this would be of interest to someone else out there.