Re: Java, mplayer

Bijan Soleymani wrote:
Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@msstate.edu> writes:

Why can't Sun's j2re and mplayer be provided in non-free or contrib?
I've read various things about how their legal status is
incompatible with Debian's DFSG, but I thought that's what non-free
was for in the first place.

Things in non-free must be freely distributable in binary form. I
don't think Sun's java allows that. I think it even puts restrictions
on that.

Part of the agreement that licensed distributros must sign with Sun is
that they will not distribute any other implementations.  This would
make it impossible for Debian distribute Sun's Java simultaneously with
free iwplementations (like Kaffe).  [BTW, IANAL]

-Roberto