From: Paul E Condon [mailto:pecondon@peakpeak.com]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 3:54 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Can't Get Past "Install the Base System"

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 02:42:18PM -0500, Dave L. Thompson wrote:
> I am a newbie Debian installer, and I'm installing Debian on a Dell PC
> with the seven CD's I downloaded from the Debian site.  I have been
> unable to get past the "Install the Base System" portion.  I've
> confirmed that dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release is present on the
> installation CD, but anytime I try to use it, I get the following
error:

> "The installation program couldn't find any directory containing a
file
> basedebs.tar or dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release."
>

> What gives?

Its been a while since I did a Woody install, so I'm not sure, but it
seems like you have misunderstood the step where the installer is asking
you where it should look for Debian packages to complete the install.
It seems that you asked it to look on the local hard disk, not on the
CDs. If you say to use the CDs in the correct way, it asks you then and
there to put a CD in the drive and it scans it, and asks if you have
another CD, and scans it, until you say you have no more CDs. Did you
do that? It is kind of tedious, so you are likely to remember it if you
did it.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon