serial modem + wvdial

Hi,
I have a USRobot. internal serial modem that was working fine under redhat 7.2.  I wiped the box and installed debian, and now wvdial claims the modem smells:

titania:/dev# wvdial speakeasy
---> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.53
---> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
---> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
---> Cannot open /dev/ttyS2: Input/output error
titania:/dev#

I checked the IRQ and IO for /dev/ttyS2, and they're set to the standard DOS values  (IRQ4, IO 0x03e8).  Not sure if this matters, but /proc/interrupts doesn't have an entry for IRQ4.  Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

(PS The included wvdial.conf file is salvaged from the previous install.  I tried building a new one, but wvdial couldn't even guess to check ttyS2...stupid wvdial)
[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS2
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 2