Re: Debian Server Compromise -- A Fire Drill ??

Thanasis Kinias writes:
> If Foo Corp. wanted to do this, they really wouldn't have anything to
> fear from the law...

Little maybe, but not nothing.  And risking the shareholder's (or even your
own) money is one thing.  Risking prison is quite another.  Their biggest
risk would be a whistle-blower.  "We'll fire you" just doesn't carry the
weight of the threats the mafia makes (and even they have their squealers).

> ...and if they're confident that they have more media pull, they wouldn't
> have anything to fear from the media either.

The media are like sharks: cowards, but when they smell blood...

> That's not to say that MS/SCO/whoever had anything to do with this at
> all, just that I wouldn't discount the possibility based solely on the
> (to me, apparently small) risk they would be taking.

The risk might be small, but the cost of getting caught would be enormous,
not just for the company, but for all the individuals involved.

And then there is morality.  I know you won't believe this, but almost all
corporate executives consider themselves moral law-abiding citizens.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)