Re: 2.6 kernel: module cannot be unloaded

Thanasis Kinias wrote:
scripsit Roberto Sanchez:
Module unloading *must* be specifically enabled in 2.6 kernels.
Otherwise, you can only load.

OK, I recompiled and enabled that...  (Aside:  Lots of possible gotchas
switching to 2.6...)

...and I can now unload _some_ but not all modules.  Specifically,
ide_probe_mod and piix are listed as `unsafe' and cannot be unloaded.
They are loaded at boot.  With modconf unusable ATM I'm not sure how to
go about cleaning out the cruft...  I've got a boatload of IDE drivers
being unnecessarily loaded...

They are unsafe to unload because it is possible that unloading them
could cause very serious problems.  To unload those, you must have
enabled CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_UNLOAD (for Forced Module Unloading):

This option allows you to force a module to unload, even if the
kernel believes it is unsafe: the kernel will remove the module
without waiting for anyone to stop using it (using the -f option to
rmmod).  This is mainly for kernel developers and desperate users.
If unsure, say N.

-Roberto