Re: I'm face Few problem , need suggestion

Hallo

Satyajit Das (<"satyajit@satyajit"@spnetctg.com>) wrote:

> Just today I entire this world and also in Linux world.
> I'm single user.
> I collect Debian 3.0 beta , total 8 CD's .
> After struggle 4 days("dselect" very difficult for newbies) I
> installed Debian.
>
> Now wants to know or need suggestion from all users.
> Please -- please help.
> ( NB: I also visit debian mailing list archive, thousand - thousand
>   mail, It's difficults from me to find out my problem)
>
> 1) I want to upgrade complete Debain system, such as :
> I have mutt-1.3 /need 1.4 or1.5 , kde-2.2/ need 3.x / and
> kernel-2.2.20-idepci/ need 2.4.x
>    Please give me the details webaddress or ftp site. I'm using
>    broadband.

First, you have to decide which version of Debian you want to use. Right
now, you are using the current stable version, 3.0 or "Woody". It was
released nearly 1 1/2 years ago, so many packages are available in
newer versions. You can also switch to the testing version ("Sarge") or
unstable ("Sid"), which have those newer packages. However, both
versions are not officially supported by the Debian security team, and
especially in Sid, things break from time to time. As far as I know,
KDE 3 in Sarge is not completely working right now.

You can also use a mixed system, by using Woody, but getting newer
versions of some packages. Go to <http://www.apt-get.org> to get an
overview. There are for example KDE 3.1.4 packages available for Woody
from ftp.kde.org. You should also take a look at the documentation for
apt and dpkg, Debian's package management tools. And install aptitude
or synaptic, both are quite convenient. If you want to use Woody, add
some Debian mirror server and security.debian.org to your sources.list
to get the latest bugfixes and security upates for Woody.

There is a lot of helpful documentation available at
<http://debian.org/doc/>, especially the FAQ and the APT HOWTO.

Apart from that, Debian Woody already comes with Kernel 2.4.18 packages.
2.2.20-idepci is the default installation kernel, you can however also
install Debian using 2.4.18-bf2.4. or install some 2.4.18 package at
any later time. Make sure security.debian.org is in your sources.list,
and install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686/-k7/-586/-k6/-386, depending on
your system. Your current Kernel will not be removed by this procedure.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen