Re: ye olde upgrade vs. dist-upgrade

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:13:22PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 08:41:27PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > Is there a reason to use or not use dist-upgrade on Woody machines for
> > security updates?
>
> Is there a reason to not actually bother reading the man page for apt-get
> and learning the difference between the two targets?

Sorry, I wasn't clear.  Yes, I know the what the docs say.

> 'upgrade'       - apt CAN'T change a package's installation state
> 'dist-upgrade'  - apt CAN change a package's installation state

I use "woody" in my sources.list instead of saying "stable".  Packages in
Stable are, well, stable.  There are security updates that will replace
packages, of course, but dependencies should not change so there's no
installation state to change when doing security updates.

Therefore, it's been my assumption that in that case dist-upgrade and
upgrade act in the same way.  Someone commented that dist-upgrade is the
wrong thing to use for security updates, but I'm not clear if that's
because of their different environment ("stable" vs. "woody in
sources.list) or something else that is not clear to me from the docs.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org