fun - Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Robert L. Harris wrote:

> Your argument sounds like my 6yr old doing a "I want it now, I don't
> care what your reasons are!!!!" soon followed by a temper tantrum.

thats normal for the grown-ups too .. just a different form of "temper
tantrum"  and usually a shorter fuse than the 6yr olds that are very
patient ... even if they want it now.. cause you can make a reasonable
deal with um ( just keep your promises ?? )

> Thus spake Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca):

..
> > Why should we cater to people who can't be bothered to help
> > themselves?  Leaving readily compromisable systems out there does the
> > net a disservice.

those that don't bother usually get "whacked on the side of the head"
but the script kiddies .. sooner or later ..
	- nothing we can do to tell them to fix it before its too late

and even if you/we do bother, one usually whack oneself on the side
of the head too for screwing up things that was working and than
fixing it and the original task to getting things tighter than it was
	- at least one learns better what not to do next time

c ya
alvin