Re: Debian Investigation Report after Server Compromises

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 07:04, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 09:41:15PM +0000, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> > Because there will be lots of people who haven't yet had the chance to
> > upgrade.  They won't thank us for making an exploit available to every
> > would-be cracker.
>
> Why should we cater to people who can't be bothered to help
> themselves?  Leaving readily compromisable systems out there does the
> net a disservice.

Suppose I go off for two weeks holiday?  I'm the only one who can change
my system's kernel, but I leave it on because it is the gateway for
everyone else.  The day after I leave, some idiot publishes details of
this exploit and for 13 days my system is vulnerable, before I even hear
about the problem, let alone have the chance to fix it.

There is not yet a Debian package of kernel 2.4.23, so anyone who can't
downgrade to 2.4.18 must fetch his own kernel source and build it; which
may be beyond the abilities of many of those who are vulnerable.

     "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for
      us, who can be against us?"              Romans 8:31