CD-Burner/DVD Drive Optimization

Title: Message
 I am trying to optimize my ide cd and ide dvd drives. They are initialized as scsi emulated devices during bootup which I have found is necessary or else they will not work, but because the dvd is placed in this mode, it takes a huge performance hit when playing back dvd video.  I found that the dvd was not using dma.

To correct the dvd I enabled:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd

I have also noticed that my cd burner is not using dma mode when I run an hdparm -i on it.  Will the burner experience a similar kind of performance hit that the dvd drive had if dma is not enabled via hdparm?  Or will enabling dma cause problems with the scsi emulation?

When I do a 'dmesg | grep hdc' I see that the cd burner is using bm-dma.  What is bm-dma?  Does that replace setting dma via hdparm?

Thanks,

Tyler