Re: Debian Package Finder, where? SUCCESS !!

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 23:50:32 +0100, Bill Goudie <bgoudie@mail.com> wrote:
[...]
>   wget ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/<release>/Contents-<arch>.gz
>   zgrep <file> Contents-<arch>.gz

Thank you.  Thank you.  Finally a method that works !!

Just to summarize everything I've tried and failed:

Debian Package Problems
1. Searching for a package, knowing only the name of a file.
dpkg -search <filename>   --  installed packages only.
apt-cache search  <pattern>  --  doesn't search *contents*, only descriptions.
www.apt-get.org/search.php  --  returns nothing, even on files known to exist
www.debian.org/distrib/packages.en.html -- down "at the moment", but I've never been able to get this to work.
Google search on site:www.debian.org  -- package contents are not listed.

For the future:

Wouldn't it be nice if debian.org just listed the contents of each package on a webpage. Then we could use Google for these searches. Why do so many websites have their own home-brew search engines, when Google will do the job much faster and more reliably?

-- Dave