Re: Kernel options, modules, etc.

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 00:04, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
> There has been a lot of talk about kernels on the list lately and I am at a
> loss to understand what options or modules are required.  Is there a
> document that lists these items that I could read.

The modules you need are the ones that correspond to your particular
hardware and to the tasks you want your computer to perform.

So if you want to use dial-up to an ISP, you are going to need the ppp
module; if you want to use a parallel printer, you will need lp and
parport and parport_pc.  You will need the Ethernet driver module for
your particular Ethernet card.  So this isn't a question that can easily
be answered without knowing your circumstances in detail.

The kernel source contains a lot of documentation, including help-text
relating to each of the possible modules or kernel facilities.

     "What shall we then say to these things? If God be for
      us, who can be against us?"              Romans 8:31