Re: Help with installation

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 at 18:44 GMT, Robert Benjamin penned:
>     I have Red Hat 9.0 installed on a 30 gig HD and want to onstall
>     Debian 3.0r1 over it, or remove Red Hat. I have iso images 1 and 2
>     on CD roms and the drive is bootable. Using the iso 1, I get stuck
>     at the part where it asks the server:/path for the root
>     filesystem. I'm a Linux newbie and I guess I don't know what this
>     is, or what to enter there.  Things were going fine to that point.
>     This is a i386 system. The HD is 30 gig and has ONLY Red Hat 9.0
>     on it.  Can you help me install Debian or get me past the point
>     where I don't understand what it asks. I have no problem removing
>     Red Hat, if I knew how to do that. This is a learning experience
>     for me, and there are no files that need to back up. I can start
>     from scratch.  Thanks for the help.   benjie1@cox.net

I have a feeling that if you try to install debian "over" an existing
redhat install, bad things will happen ... the location of their
runlevel files is different, for example.  It may get very confusing
trying to figure out what is redhat and what is debian, if you can even
get the system far enough to boot.

I may be wrong, though; I haven't tried it.

--
monique