Problems with migration from pppoe to dhcp-client (router) for internet access

Hello,

I just got a nice deal on a Barricade router for my
home network.

I try to get my internet connection to work with
dhcp-client.  I was using pppoe before with no
problem.  I have no problem accessing the internet
from my winxP and OsX boxes with the router using
automatic dhcp.

I have:
-ran apt-get remove pppoe and dpkg-reconfigure
dhcp-client.
-removed my pppd respawn line from inittab
-rebooted

My machine seems to be registered correctly on the
rooter (MAC and ip adresses) but I cannot access the
the rooter admin web interface or internet.

-Running ifconfig doesn't reveal anything abnormal.

-Running etc/init.d/networking start gives: interface
eth0 already configured

-I have also stopped and apt-removed firestarter
firewall

Waht is the clean way of doing this internet
configuration change?

Any help appreciated

Eric