ATI driver problem

Hi all,

I'm trying to move from the OS radeon driver to the ATI fglrx one, to
get better 3D support.  I've built the module and installed it, but 3D
performance is no better.  fglrxinfo says:

display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

At first I thought it was to do with something in my XF86Config-4.  But
now I've found the following at the end of my dmesg:

Fire GL built-in AGP-support
Based on agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected a Via Apollo KT400 chipset in AGP v2 mode. (VIA flag)
agpgart: AGP aperture is 128M @ 0xf0000000
Power management callback for AGP chipset installed
[fglrx] AGP detected, AgpState   = 0x00000000 (hardware caps of chipset)
[fglrx:firegl_unlock] *ERROR* Process 548 using kernel context 0

I get this whether or not I have the kernel agpgart module loaded.  The
fglrx driver is _allegedly_ supposed to use the agpgart module if it's
loaded, otherwise it uses ATI's own.  But agpgart module usage remains
at 0.

There's also this in /var/log/XFree86.0.log:

(EE) fglrx(0): [agp] unable to acquire AGP, error "xf86_ENOMEM"
(EE) fglrx(0): cannot init AGP
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA 0xe0996000 at
0x40018000
(WW) fglrx(0): ***********************************************
(WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!                  *
(WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or bad) *
(WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)             *
(WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available                *

Anyone got any ideas?
01:00.1 Display controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon R250 [Radeon
9000] (Secondary) (rev 01)
The motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X, the card is a Radeon 9000.

Now playing: Dream Theater - In The Name of God