Can't play audio CDs

I can't play audio CDs on my Mac 8500. It's running debian for PowerPC, but I don't know if it's a problem with the powerpc port.

I have /dev/cdrom linked to /dev/scd0 (first SCSI CD drive). The permissions for /dev/scd0 are rw-rw-rw-.

I have esound installed. I've tried this with and without esd actually running. Some programs (like Mozilla :-/) won't work if esd is running. I know that sound works because I can use mpg123 and xmms to play MP3s.

I've tried workbone, grip and the Gnome CD player applet.

Workbone just prints its help message and exits.

Grip will display the list of tracks and their times, but then the UI will become unresponsive. I have to kill the process to make it quit.

The Gnome CD player applet will start showing elapsed time when I click the play button, but I don't get any sound.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks,

Mike
--