Re: DVD playing slow -- dropping frames?

on Sun, 30 Nov 2003 07:16:59PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen insinuated:
> on Sun, 30 Nov 2003 04:03:55PM -0800, John insinuated:
> > On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 05:27:46PM -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:
> > > i'm trying to play DVDs.  i should have the hardware for it -- an
> > > AMD Duron 950 MHz; an ATI rage fury pro video card; 512M of RAM.
> > > but, xine and ogle both appear to be dropping frames.
> >
> > > that same thread also suggests that this might be a DMA issue
> > > (which VERA seems to define as "digital memory access").  how can
> > > i enable
> >
> > Yo nori,
> >
> > You are sooo close!
>
> yeah, i can smell it :)
>
> > man hdparm
>
> hm, i have ... but i get:
>
> orange:~# hdparm /dev/dvd
> /dev/dvd not supported by hdparm
>
> > & enable dma on your dvd player.
>
> how?

okay, let's see.  the ogle faq seems to say that /dev/hdc is the same
as my /cdrom (i symlinked /dev/dvd to /cdrom, as that's where i have
that drive mount).  how can i find out if this is the case?

doing an `hdparm /dev/hdc` shows dma to be already enabled on that
device.  disabling it does nothing to help the frame dropping.  so
maybe that's not the correct device?

thanks again!

</nori>

--