Re: apt-get etiquette

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:35:06 +0000, RichardA wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 17:16:57 +0100, Andreas Janssen
> <andreas.janssen@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> Like urmpi, apt uses a local cache to save downloaded packages. You
>> can find them in /var/cache/apt/archives. If you reinstall you can
>> copy the files you saved from the cache back and after updating the
>> package lists, apt will automatically use them instead of downloading
>> them again, at least if there isn't a newer version on the server. You
>> can also delete obsolete files from the cache using the auoclean
>> function of apt-get.
>
> Got that. It'll save me a little time, and the mirror some traffic.
>
>> You might also want to take a look at apt-move (you can get package
>> descriptions from <http://packages.debian.org>, but it seems to be
>> down right now).
>
> Still down.
>
> Richard

You can also see package descriptions by using apt-cache or dpkg-www.

This from testing:

$ apt-cache show apt-move

Package: apt-move
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 208
Maintainer: Herbert Xu <herbert@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 4.2.19
Depends: bc, coreutils, dash | ash, libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5-3.3, libc6 (>=
2.3.2-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:3.3.1-1), libstdc++5 (>= 1:3.3.1-1)
Recommends: apt
Filename: pool/main/a/apt-move/apt-move_4.2.19_i386.deb
Size: 47380
MD5sum: cc7ed9f29293617b7a0ff4fad4fbaded
 apt-move is used to move a collection of Debian package files into a
 proper archive hierarchy as is used in the official Debian archive. It is
 intended as a tool to help manage the apt-get(8) file cache, but could be
 configured to work with any collection of Debian packages.
 .
 Running apt-move periodically will assist in managing the resulting
 partial mirror by optionally removing obsolete packages, and creating
 valid local Packages.gz files.  It can also build a partial or complete
 local mirror of a Debian binary distribution (including an
 ``installed-packages only'' mirror).

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman