Re: X won't start

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:17:04AM -0800, Mark Healey wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:22:03 -0500, hendrik@pooq.com wrote:
>
> >On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:19:36AM -0800, Mark Healey wrote:
> >> Now that I have the networking fixed and sort of figured out the mouse
> >> problem I'm ready to tackle X not starting.
> >>
> >> When I boot I get a couple of attempts for gdm to start.  After that
> >> fails there is an error message stating
> >>
> >> Fatal server error:
> >> no screens found.
> >>
> >> I tried xf86config and had to abandon it when my video card wasn't
> >> listed.  It wasn't listed as an option during the installation
> >> process.  I'm assuming that that is the problem.  Is it likely?
> >>
> >> I did
> >>
> >> apt-cache search radeon
> >>
> >> and found nothing.
> >>
> >> Am I even going in the right direction?
> >>
> >> I'm attaching the error log and config file
> >>

> >The radeon driver is in the Mandrake (I think 9.0), which autoconfigured
> >X for my Radeon 8500DV usably (but I suspect still no accelleration).
> >(HOwever, it set so many security barriers in the way of networking that
> >I gave up and switched to Debian).  The radeon driver, I believe, just
> >on the threshold for sid.  I'm using woody, though, with woody's
> >vesa driver in woody.  Of course I won't get any acceleration.
> >It does come up with xdm properly,  then crashes when I log in.
> >The mouse pointer moves nicely, but it doesn't register clicks.
> >
> >I tried the drivers from ATI, but they did not work.  Even the shell script
> >that was supposed to tell me which version of the ATI driver to use
> >crashed, with an error that suggested it wasn't a valid shell script.
>
> Where is this ATI driver?  All I could find were some RPMs.

Those are the ones.  You have to haul them through alien, and apparently
there are compatibility problems even after you have done so -- different
versions of files that occur in other Debian packages and so forth.  My
current problems may be because I still have ghosts of those drivers
on my system.

-- hendrik