Re: (was: irc equivalent to linux.debian.user?)

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:54:37 -0500, Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-30 at 11:03, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Hello List !
>>
>> here are naive questions:
>> What is the basic tools provided with Debian (Sarge) to do IRC ?
>> Is there a Gnome interface ?
>
> Here goes:
> ayttm - Universal Instant Messaging Client
> bitchx - Advanced Internet Relay Chat client
> bitchx-ssl - SSL support for BitchX
> bitlbee - An IRC to other chat networks gateway
> blackened - A feature rich ircII based IRC client
> centericq - A text-mode multi-protocol instant messenger client
> epic - Modified ircII client with additional functionality
> epic4 - epic irc client, version 4
> erc - an Emacs IRC client
> gaim - multi-protocol instant messaging client
> ircd-irc2-client - small irc client for debugging only
> ircii - Internet Relay Chat client
> irssi-snapshot - The irssi IRC client (Development version)
> irssi-text - text-mode version of the irssi IRC client
> kopete - Instant messenger program
> ksirc - KDE IRC client
> kvirc - Fully scriptable graphical IRC client with plugin support
> liece - IRC (Internet Relay Chat) client for Emacs
> lostirc - A simple IRC client for X11
> mozilla-chatzilla - Mozilla Web Browser - irc client
> op-irc-fb - IRC client for Opie
> riece - redesign of the Liece IRC client for Emacs
> scrollz - An advanced ircII-based IRC client
> sirc - The full-featured Perl IRC client
> tinyirc - a tiny IRC client
> tirc - token's irc client
> tkirc - Tcl/Tk based client to the Internet Relay Chat
> xchat - IRC client for X similar to AmIRC
> xchat-text - IRC client for console similar to AmIRC
> xirssi - GTK Version of irssi (Development version)
> zircon - Powerful X Internet Relay Chat client
>
> Hope that helps.

Man, everyone and his brother is writing IRC clients these days.

Any opinions?  Last time I looked there weren't so many, and I plumped for
xchat.  Which I'm more or less happy with, BTW.

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman