Re: problems installing java

Well ... I don't know if there's a `debian-way' that could be used, but I installed it by downloading it from the web ...

From the following address, I believe: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

I use Mozilla Firebird, and there I had to put a symbolic link from a file `from java' to Mozilla Fb's plugin-folder. I think the file was '/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_02/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32'. Found out about it from a Mozilla.org page. I.e., for me it was done by "ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2_02/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32 /usr/lib/mozilla-firebird/"

I'd imagine Mozilla and Netscape would require a similar action; probably exactly the same. I haven't got a clue about konqueror though. ;)

Oh, and this shouldn't be a problem for you, since you don't use Firebird, but this particular build of FB that debian `has' right now (unstable), has a bug that doesn't allow it to show java pages. So all of this didn't do me any good, I'll have to wait until debian starts updating their 'unstable' packages again. Heh. I'd imagine Mozilla doesn't have a bug like this.

Krisse

tripolar wrote:
having problems installing java
first using apt-get or aptitude what should I install?
2) any tricks to have konqueror, mozilla,& netscape find java?
3. Any links I should set up and how?
I have main non-free & contrib in my sources.list
unstable
thanks