Godel [was Re: qmail Re: freebsd - Re: recommended Virus Scanner?]

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:19:37PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:
> and you weren't in it for the $$$ ??
> (just that bugs and exploits exists? )

When I learned about Godel's work I really freaked out.

When I learned there are certain true statements which are not
expressible by manipulation of symbols, and that in any sufficiently
complex formal system there are no guarantees it won't grind out
falsehoods, I started to see it's applicabiity everywhere around me.

(It doesn't say there are no true statements.)

Everything that happens in all aspects of life makes so much more sense
to me once you start from that point.  Lots of unexpected events to me
are truths that weren't expressible in somebody's system of belief.

(Again, it doesn't say that there are no true statements.)

I've been waiting for somebody to get rid of the Axiom of Choice.  A
math prof at Stanford told me they came very close with the Lambda
calculus and Lisp to getting past the issues I'm worried about, but I
don't think they've nailed it yet.

Once somebody disproves Godel I will rest easy...