Re: Hot to be a Guru

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:05:46 +0000, Brendan Sleight wrote:

> I think I am now past the newbie stage of a GNU/Linux
> ? Debian user.
>
> I have been using a debian derivative Morphix
> (http://morphix.sourceforge.net/), I have made a few
> mini-mods, written some scripts and even used Linux in
> a rack at work.  I can hack a few C, C++ programs and
> knock out some bash and perl scripts. These days I
> pick up my very thumbed Unix beginners book less and
> less.
>
> So what now, how do I make the step of next from being
> a newbie to working towards Guru level.
> * More, thicker, smaller font, expensive books.
> * Outline tutorials
> * Try kernel hacking, Linux from Scratch ?
> * Just keep using/hacking it, you will learn whats so
> much fun about ssh...
> * Get work to pay for some courses, (Hotels included,
> but no mini-bar, just foo-bar.)
>
> I would be interested in how other people have made
> the step passed newbie.
>
> Nearest similar post:-
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2001/debian-user-200106/msg04174.html
>
> Regards,
> Brendan - A-Want-to-be Guru - Sleight

Decide which area you want to tackle first, and then you can plan a path.
Experience is the best teacher.

For instance, if you want to learn about filesystems and drivers, read up
on, say, ext2.  Then design a filesystem of your own, write the supporting
code and make it work.

If you want to learn about NNTP, write a text-based news client.

Write a web spider from scratch.

Write a partition resizer that's better than parted (testing this could be
dangerous, of course!)

Write a program which can identify the file system type of an unmounted
partition.

Write a file compression program that compresses better than gzip and runs
faster than bzip2.

That's enough to keep you busy for a couple of years :)

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman