Re: Downside to Aptitude?

M. Kirchhoff wrote:

I've recently started using aptitude from the console instead of apt-get
for package management on my Woody systems.  I find some of the
features, like the ability to do a "--with-suggests", quite useful.  It
seems like Aptitude does a better job of handling dependencies as well.

Are there any pitfalls when using Aptitude to manage a system? For
example, running

aptitude update && aptitude upgrade

instead of
apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

Is Aptitude being pushed as the replacement for dselect, or perhaps as
an eventual replacement for apt-get?

Thanks for any thoughts.
--
me.kirchhoff

So I installed aptitude.
It appears that

apt-get dist-upgrade

and

aptitude dist-upgrade

do exactly the same thing. Even look exactly alike...

To avoid shooting myself (in the foot) I do a mondoarchive before so I can restore easily...

Hugo.