Re: installing a backup drive

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 22:18:01 -0800, richard wrote:

> I have a email/web server running on one drive and I want to install a
> backup for obvious reasons. Essentially I'll remove the optical drive
> and have the new HD take the slave spot. I can't set up a RAID witout
> nuking the information already contained on the server. So_ Whats the
> best way to go about this?

I assume that you are going to be using Linux software RAID.

You can convert to RAID-1 (mirror) without destroying your system.

You can't convert to RAID-0 (stripe) without destroying your system.

However, it looks from your post as though you want to convert to RAID-1.
Two points:

1.  Check out the Software-RAID-HOWTO - if you don't have it installed,
it's at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html - section 4.14
will help you plan the conversion.

2.  It sounds like your setup will have your mirror on the same IDE
channel as your primary.  That may be risky:  there's a possibility that a
disk failure will take out the whole channel.

Hope this helps

--

"The average lifespan of a Web page today is 100 days. This is no way to
run a culture."

Internet Archive Board Chairman