Re: messed up mbr- unable to boot

> can I use knoppix live-cd to fix mbr to be able to boot sarge & m$XP?
> lilo is installed on sarge. grub maybe also installed though not
configured.
> no boot floppy :-( used new installer and dont remember the option to
make
> boot floppy
> thanks

I haven't tried Knoppix yet, but I messed up my MBR just the other day
and was able to fix it with the Woody install CD #1, which can also
serve as a rescue CD. I booted to the CD, and then entered:

'rescbf24 root=/dev/hda3'

at the prompt. This started up the 2.4 kernel (I had trouble trying to
rescue with the default kernel; don't think it can read Reiserfs) and
set root to my Woody partition. Then I just edited my menu.lst file for
grub, reset the MBR with the 'update-grub' command, and rebooted.
Everything worked fine after that.

HTH,
Mark