Re: Woody and aic7xxx SCSI driver problem

[Please drop the bandwidthwasting disclaimer. This is a public mailing list]

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 13:37:12 -0500, jcosta@lendleaserei.com wrote:
> I've got an IBM x330 server with an Adaptec AIC-78929 SCSI controller that
> I want to install Woody on. When I boot from the install CD, it does not
> recognize that the server has any disk drives. I've tried booting from the
> "compact" kernel (which is supposed to have the needed aic7xxx.o module)
> with no success. I've also tried the "bf24" kernel and the default
> "idepci" kernel--unsuccessfully.

I've had similar problems with one machine; its SCSI controller wasn't being
recognised when I booted a kernel I built myself (one with ACPI enabled).
Booting with "acpi=off" caused it to be found again.

> When I boot the server from a Knoppix CD, it finds the drives and uses the
> aic7xxx.o module as a driver.

IIRC, the Knoppix CD includes scripts which make it easy to use it as an
installer for Debian. I don't know if that's feasible for woody, and there
may be some knoppix-specific leftovers.

HTH,
Ray
--