Re: OT, proper phone wire question?/Twists & Guage ?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 18:30:00 -0500
lee <lnx@alltel.net> wrote:

> Thank you very much for the discussion on twists, I have a
> question..what about actual wire size..cat 3 and 5 are usually 22 or
> 24 guage..suppose one was to use say 18 guage speaker wire..it's
> twisted(like cat), it's unshielded(like cat)..but a bit larger..less
> resistance is my thinking..where am i wrong here..not enuff twists
> perhaps?
>
> Thank you all very very much for your time..
>
> Lee

I've never actually tried it, but I suspect you would have a hard time
getting 18 gauge wire to fit in an RJ11 (common for phones) or RJ45
(common for networks) plug. They usually make them with very little room
to spare so you don't have to worry about 2 wires in one groove, etc.
Not to mention the fact that if they enlarge the plug too much it won't
fit in the jack any more...

HTH,
Jacob

-----
GnuPG Key: 1024D/16377135

Windows: The first user interface where you click Start to turn it off.