Re: newbie boot log question

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 04:45:53AM +0100, Christian Schnobrich wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 19:08, bstil@yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hello, I want to review the lines and lines of text
> > that printout during startup, but they quickly scroll
> > off the screen.
>
> just type 'dmesg'. Once done, you maybe want to type 'dmesg | less' :)
>
> HTH,
> Schnobs

Hi,
yes dmesg will show what happends from boot to init.
to see what happends after, look at /var/log/messages
it show what happens from init to shutdown.
The difference is that dmesg is reset after each reboot but
/var/log/messages is kept and eventually has its log rotated.
Also try
tail -f /var/log/messages
and then insert something (a usb device, a pcmcia card....)
and what the result.
(do ctrl - c to break out of the tail)
-kev