Re: recommended Virus Scanner?

On Thu, Nov 27, 2003 at 09:33:45PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 11:57:26PM -0500, ScruLoose wrote:
> > I've gotta say that md5-encrypted shadow passwords, chkrootkit,
> > integrit, SYN cookies, iptables, etc. don't really look like the
> > products of a "can't happen here" mentality.
>
> On the contrary, it's lessons learned quickly combined with the kind
> of paranoia that the tinfoil-hat crowd would be proud of.  Unix geeks
> (BSD geeks in particular) seem to take "It's not paranoia if everybody
> really is after you" to heart and applies it.

One more comment before I drop the thread:

The problem isn't mitigating what you know about.

The problem is you don't know what you don't know.  And the enemy always
gets a vote on the battlefield :-)

That said, certainly nothing wrong with the efforts so far...  I just
personally don't believe they will prove sufficient once all of Eastern
Europe begins to focus its efforts on hassling you :-)