Re: Anti-Virus Scanner recommendations please

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 09:09:11PM -0800 or thereabouts, Darik Horn wrote:

Hi Darik,

> ClamAV is the best virus scanner that is free software.  On a
> Debian/woody computer, you should use a backport of a recent version
> like this:

How does one run it properly with Exim? I had it scanning my MailDir boxes, and
Mutt didn't like it doing that. After a scan, Mutt wouldn't be able to
give me an accurate readout of new messages. Seems Mutt thinks each
folder scanned, has already been accessed by Mutt.

> http://www.backports.org/debian/dists/woody/clamav/
>
> If you wish to purchase a commercial product, then I would recommend
> F-Secure Anti-Virus for Linux:
>
> http://www.f-secure.com/estore/fsavlinuxwks.shtml
>
> It behaves well on Debian systems, and updates have always been timely.
>
> A demo is not available, but you can purchase a license online without
> having to make a deal with a commissioned sales droid.  (They recently
> doubled the price of a license, however, so FSAV may not currently be
> the best value.)
>
> I've written a lightweight wrapper that allows the workstation version
> of the FSAV scanner to be used as a pipe filter for mail scanning:
>
> http://www.vanadac.com/~dajhorn/projects/fsavp/
>
> I use maildrop, but it works with procmail too.

Thanks for the valuable information, Darik.