after changing IP and ifup --all, SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

I have debian 2.2, kernel 2.2.19. I had to change the
configuration of network
(I mean I had to change IP, netmask, gateway and so
on).

I did the following three steps.
1step 'ifdown --all'
2step
' I changed the file /etc/network/interfaces'
3step 'ifup --all'

after the 3step i got the following warning:
''SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument''

Now the network does not work.

The same three steps under debian3.0 work fine, but I
rather cannot
update from debian2.2 to debian3.0 because debian2.2
runs on very
old computer so debian3.0 is "too heavy" for that
computer.

Could you please someone help me?

TIA

Jan