Re: Frozen mouse and keyboard in new Woody installation

John wrote:

On bootup of newly installed 2.4 Woody, both mouse and
keyboard are frozen on the first desktop manager
screen.  I have tried installing with KDE and again
with Gnome, and the problem is the same either way.

Installation goes fine.  In console mode, after
installation, I am able to apt-get install emacs20 and
fvwm2.  I can rewrite xinitrc to include "exec fvwm2".
BUT: when I reboot, I get either kdm or gnome AND THE
SAME DRATTED FROZEN MOUSE AND KEYBOARD, and now can't
even get a console session, or to try to fix things
with the rescue disk, since the machine goes right to
a display manager and keyboard and mouse freeze again.

At the "boot:" prompt, you can enter something like "linux single" and avoid going into the display manager. Then you can edit the display manager's startup script ("/etc/init.d/kdm"?) and add the single line "exit 0" as the first executable line. Now you can restart normally without the display manager starting (remove the line later when you want to restore kdm).

What's wrong?  And many thanks!

After doing the above, does the keyboard work in console? Mouse (assuming you have gpm installed)? If you start X with "startx", what happens? When the keyboard freezes, does the numlock/capslock toggle the indicator lights?

If the keyboard/mouse works in console, but not in X, you might try running "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-common" and/or "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86" and select different settings.

P.S.
Do you write me direct, or do I need to join a list to
see an answer?

As a general rule, you're expected to either join the list or read the answers in the email archives. However, most of us will honor a request to CC: to you.

--
Kent