Re: usb mouse

Simon Tod wrote:
I'm having no luck in getting a USB Mouse to work...

/etc/fstab reports:

none  /proc/bus/usb  usbfs  defaults  0  0

On boot up into a Knoppix 2.4.20-xfs kernel I always
get...

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.275 $ time 18:50:40 Nov 15
2003
usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0xfce0, IRQ 9
usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
hub.c: USB hub found
hub.c: 2 ports detected
usb-uhci.c: v1.275:USB Universal Host Controller
Interface driver

with the mouse plugged in when I boot, I additionally
get...

usb.c: new USB device 00:07.2-1, assigned address 2
usb.c: USB device 2 (vend/prod 0x45e/0x39) is not
claimed by any active driver
usb.c: registered new driver hiddev
usb.c: registered new driver hid
usb-uhci.c: interrupt, status 3, frame # 231
input0: USB HID v1.10 Mouse [ Microsoft Microsoft
5-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)] on usb1:2.0
hid-core.c: v1.81.1 Andreas Gal, Vojtech Pavlik
<vojtech@suse.cz>
hid-core.c: USB HID support drivers

lsmod reports the additional modules keybdev, hid,
mousedev and input in addition to usbcore and usb-uhci
that are always there.

As far as I can tell the mouse is recognised (albeit a
Microsoft mouse borrowed from work...!?), so what more
do I need to do to get it working?

Using my 2.4.22 kernel I get a complaint of failed
attempt to load keybdev, but then, I disabled that in
my kernel compilation. Why do I need keybdev for a
mouse anyway?!

Get rid of that failure by adding a dir to your /etc/modutils, like /etc/modutils/local and put in there:

# Special actions to get rid of keybdev...
#
#Linux.debian.user 11/12/2003 13:16
#
#Kjetil Kjernsmo
#Astrophysicist/IT Consultant/Skeptic/Ski-orienteer/Orienteer/Mountaineer
#kjetil@kjernsmo.net  webmaster@skepsis.no  editor@learn-orienteering.org
#Homepage: http://www.kjetil.kjernsmo.net/        OpenPGP KeyID: 6A6A0BBC
#
#The advice I got was to add
above hid usbcore
#to /etc/modutils/local (or somewhere equivalent).

I added the comments of where I got the advice...

Hugo

Thanks...

=====
Simon Tod