Re: Debian Community Security, was Re: recommended Virus Scanner?

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, David Palmer. wrote:

> Novell is offering financial enticement, depending on the project, up to
> $2500.00 for moving the Gaim buddy list over to Evolution, so they are
> obviously going after the desktop market, and the competition factor is
> going to be up there.

hummm ... $2500 for years of r/d ... pretty small pocket change
for a public company .. imho

add in the costs of marketing, slaes, advertising, pr, legal, acct
and we'd be up to $150K/yr/developer salaries in addition to $$$
for the rest of the non-programmers in the "company"

but than again, if a mere penny was paid to the 10,000 open source
developers, than each cd set would still be $100 per set ... :-)
	that $100 can be paid to eff or other open source friendly
	lawyer outfit to maintain legal ownership of the GPL'd code
	under say 30 different variations of licenses ..

	it's becoming more and more a game for the big boyz

- just counting the monopoly funny money ..

c ya
alvin