Re: lost root password

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, tripolar wrote:

> while installing sarge on my parents pc using new installer ( sweet!!) when it
> came to typing in root password I typed it twice in same line but didnt
> notice until it came for me to verify my typing again. I left the second line
> blank thinking when i rebooted there would be no password and could easily
> add root password then.
> No suck luck. rebooted and tried one instance of root passwd and two instances
> of root passwd. no luck. cant log in.
> I rebooted there machine with a knoppix cd, mounted the harddrive read-write,
> used vi to edit /etc/shadow & /etc/passwd
> to reset root password.
> still no luck
> what am i missing?
> Thanks
>

> --

You can boot into single user mode or do a chroot.
chroot is easy. boot up knoppix.
goto console (for root access).  I'll assume /dev/hda1 is your root.
do
mount /dev/hda1 /mnt
chroot /mnt
(you are not root on you debian install)
passwd
(this will change the root password)
exit
(done, reboot and takeout cd from drive)
(try new root password)
the other way is to boot into your debian machien with the boot option:
so,
Boot: linux s
or
Boot: knoppix s
which ever is the 'label' in your lilo.conf file.
-kev