Re: Looking for 17" TFT X11 config (mine is flickering...)

On Tue, 2003-11-25 at 08:52, Christian Hammers wrote:
> Hello
>
> My brand new LG "Flatron L1715S" TFT display with max resolution
> 1280x1024@75Hz and recommended resolution "1280x1024@60Hz" is flickering
> like hell in the first and at least a bit in the second resolution.
>
> A collegue of mine uses the same TFT with Windows and has, surprise,
> no problems at all with 75Hz. I have just a "ATI 3D Rage IIC" but this
> should be enough, or?
>
> Can anybody give me a hint what to tune to get a clean picture?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> -christian-
>

> My relevant XF86Config-4 so far:
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "ATI 3D Rage IIC AGP (rev 7a)"
>         Driver          "ati"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>  Identifier      "LG Flatron L1715S"
>  HorizSync       30-83 # According to manual on CDROM
>  VertRefresh     56-75
>  Option          "DPMS"
>  # 1280x1024 @ 60Hz (VESA) hsync: 64.0kHz (not better without it)
>  ModeLine "1280x1024@60" 108.0 1280 1328 1440 1688   1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>  Identifier      "Default Screen"
>  Device          "ATI 3D Rage IIC AGP (rev 7a)"
>  Monitor         "LG Flatron L1715S"
>  DefaultDepth    16
>  SubSection "Display"
>   Depth           16
>   Modes           "1280x1024@60" "1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768"
>  EndSubSection
> EndSection

Try a different color depth, try higher or lower.

I had a similar problem with another machine I maintain remotely.

It took me/him quite a few X restarts to get it right. Finally the
switch to either 24 or 15 or 8 color depth worked. 16 bit Color Depth
seems to fail with sync... problems.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net