Re: mutt - saving message to disk (not mail folder)

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 01:53:26PM -0600, Pete Harlan wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 08:37:29PM +0000, p wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 09:22:01PM +0200, Micha Feigin wrote:
> > > How do I save a mail message to disk with mutt? I want to save it to
> > > disk, not another mail folder (saving to a different mail folder appears
> > > quite clearly in the docs but couldn't find save to disk).
> > >

> > > --
> > >

> > //
> >

> > cat > [file name]
>
> Does that differ from 's' (save), then entering the filename?

Yes,

despite the description saying that s saves message/attachment to file
it actually saves it into a mailbox/maildir (depends on you defaults).
In my case since I use maildirs it saves the message with a criptic
name.
>From your description, you are using mailboxes so the file you are
saving to is actually considered a new mailbox and not a simple file,
that why saving to an existing file appends to it instead of replacing,
its the mailbox format thats responsible for that.