Re: dselect/apt-get failed -- 6 year Debian installation corrupted

I have upgraded this computer's installation since 1997, about 6 years,
transferring the installed disk drives across 3 successively newer computers.
Two years ago, after upgrading several computers from potato to woody,
I found upgrading from potato to woody produced enough problems that
I never upgraded this one computer from potato to woody.

Finally attempting to upgrade this computer from potato to woody,
I previously mentioned that "dslelect" wanted to remove most packages,
including essential packages.
Referring to Release Notes for woody and others' archived mail,
I considered the recommended
   apt-get install   dpkg apt debconf
but this also failed, complaining about the need for several old packages,
yet apt-get should install all the packages it needs.
I considered a full
   apt-get  dist-upgrade
which I should have done and did do on other computers 2 years ago,
upgrading from potato to woody.
As I recall, on those upgrades I did 2 years ago from potato to woody,
problems arose as several installation scripts failed,
but I was able to make repairs.

I also considered forcing   "apt-get install dpkg apt debconf",
but that would have made the following number of package changes
   55 packages upgraded, 31 newly installed,
   179 to remove and 998 not upgraded
which is fewer than a full  "apt-get dist-upgrade",
   1126 packages upgraded, 213 newly installed,
   57 to remove and 40 not upgraded.
Inexplicably, the above minimal "apt-get" wanted to remove 179 packages,
while the full upgrade would only remove 57 packages.

Having to "force" an installation tool like  apt-get,
I imagined the installation would present numerous problems
as new forced packages would prevent later packages from installing
properly (eg, if perl is forced, all later packages might fail to
install).
So I chose to force a minimal number of packages through "dpkg",
hopefully limiting the number of problems,
   dpkg -i  --force-depends \
   libc6_2.2.5-11.5_i386.deb \
   libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_1%3a2.95.4-11woody1_i386.deb \
   perl-base_5.6.1-8.3_i386.deb \
   perl-5.005-base_6.3_all.deb \
   libncurses5_5.2.20020112a-7_i386.deb \
   dpkg_1.9.21_i386.deb \
   sysvinit_2.84-2woody1_i386.deb \
   file-rc_0.6.3_all.deb \
   apt_0.5.4_i386.deb \
   debconf_1.0.32_all.deb \
   perl-modules_5.6.1-8.3_all.deb \
   binutils_2.12.90.0.1-4_i386.deb \
   libperl5.6_5.6.1-8.3_i386.deb
This failed as other packages depending on earlier versions of these
packages (eg,  perl-5.005) prevented even this forced installation.
Further forcing with "dpkg" only revealed more problems.
In the end, I suspect none of "dselect", "apt-get", and "dpkg"
would let me upgrade this Debian installation.
If I was to do this over, again facing a failing "dselect",
I would try working through the problems created by a forced
"apt-get dist-upgrade".

I can always get a new Debian installation working in reasonable time.
Since my first Debian installation in 1996
[though I first installed Linux on Slackware in 1994 and RedHat in 1995],
about a third of my Debian upgrades have taken excessive time
and presented several problems.

AFTER 5 YEARS OF DEBIAN UPGRADES ON ANY COMPUTER,
I NOW FEEL I BOTH SAVE TIME AND FRUSTRATION
BY OVERLAYING THE OPERATING SYSTEM WITH A NEW DEBIAN OPERATING SYSTEM,
SKIPPING ANY DEBIAN UPGRADES AFTER 5 YEARS.
Luckily, in Linux, a users' most important information
is easily retained from /home and /usr/local.

While I have a tape backup, I forsee this computer's upgrade
from potato to woody consuming time without success.
I send this email, expect no possibility of reboot, and will overwrite
this computer with a new sarge Debian installation.