problem blending a kernel-headers package with a kernel source-package

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 09:23:02 -0600, Kent West wrote:

>Mark Healey wrote:
>
>>There is no networking.  I need to build a module for my nic which
>>doesn't have a .deb package.  I have the source but need the kernel
>>source which wasn't installed.  I discovered that unilike what many
>>people told me I don't need to rebuild the kernel.
>>

>I fought with a machine last week that had a broadcom nic. I found that
>I could not get it to work with a 2.2 kernel without recompiling the
>kernel, which I did, just long enough to hit the network so I could
>upgrade to a 2.4 kernel. It's been a week, so I'm not sure I remember
>correctly, but I think it worked out of the box with the 2.4 kernel.

As far as I can tell it works with the Tigon but not the 4401.  I'm
pretty sure they use different chips.

>I would suggest you break these issues out into separate email threads,
>and give each thread a meaninful subject line, like "broadcom nic fails
>on 2.2 kernel" or "X tries to start on boot but can't" or "mouse not
>detected in X" or "mouse not detected in console" or "mouse not detected
>in console or X".

Oops.

Anyway, here's a more specific question.

I have kernel-source-2.4.18 installed expanded and extracted and the
symbolic link created.

I installed kernel-headers-2.4.18-bf2.4.  It created a directory of
the same name in /usr/src.

I have the bcm440x source expanded and extracted.

When I try to make it it gives me an error about a file it can't find.
The file isn't where it is looking.

I need to know how to blend the kernel-header files with the
kernel-source so the file from the headers package are where they
would be if I actual built the kernel.

---------------------------------------
Please leave this.  It is a filter term
ferulebezel
---------------------------------------
Mark Healey
deblist@healeyonline.com
Don't bothor CCing or emailing this address.  Since spammers seem to be harvesting this
list anything that doesn't come from the list server is assumed to be spam and deleted.
ASUS A87V8X mobo w AMD Athalon
	Broadcom 4401 onboard nic
	with static IP Address
ATI All-In-Wonder 9700 Video card.