Re: Experiment: Neophyte versus Windows XP & Debian Woody

Edward Murrell said on Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 09:31:42AM +1300:
> I've never understood the need for /opt/. Or more precisely, I've never
> understood the need for /opt/ when you have /usr/local/, and in my
> travels have yet to find any solid reasoning beyond what seems to be
> that the first person to create /opt/ didn't know about /usr/local/.
>
> (I'm almost certainly wrong of course, but I still haven't been able to
> find anything that tells me so with any decent authority.)

/opt is designed for commercial software; the idea is that you can install into
/opt/CompanyName/SoftwarePackage, and not worry about conflicts.  Of course,
this isn't exactly integration with the rest of the OS or anything, but it's a
leftover from proprietary Unix, really.  It does come in handy, though.