gconf2 - sid gnome won't start

Hi

My kids use gnome which won't start.

After entering appropriate details on the gdm screen and pressing
enter the following message pops up:

	  The files that contain your preference settings are currently in
	  use.
	Do you want to continue

They hit Continue, then another message pops up:

	 No configuration sources in the configuration file
	 '/etc/gconf/2/path
	 Error reading the file: Failed:
	 Couldn't open path file '/etc/gconf/2/path': No such file or
	 directory

And this is correct; there isn't. However, gconf and gconf2 are both
installed.  dpkg -L gconf2 reveals the above file.  I tried a
dpkg-reconfigure gconf2 but no joy - that file won't install.

I've
	ar -x /var/cache/apt/archives/gconf2_2.4.0.1-2_i386.deb
	tar xvzf data.tar.gz
thinking I could manually copy the missing files.

However, I thought to ask here to see if anybody else has the
problem and how they've fixed it before I try that.

Any ideas?

Jonathan