Re: recommended Virus Scanner?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 06:45:49AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:07:05AM -0800, Tom wrote:
> > It's only going to get worse as Linux gets more popular.
>
> They've had ten plus years.  If it was going to happen, it would have
> happened.

That's Argumentum ad antiquitatem.
[http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/logic.html#antiquitatem]:

This is the fallacy of asserting that something is right or good simply
because it's old, or because "that's the way it's always been." The
opposite of Argumentum ad Novitatem.

    "For thousands of years Christians have believed in Jesus Christ.
Christianity must be true, to have persisted so long even in the face of
persecution."

-- The reason it hasn't happened yet is Linux is probably because Linux
has not yet become popular enough yet to attack, and not because Linux
devs are somehow exempt from the human race and thus highly likely to
produce flawed results.

> > I think all Linux devs, from Linus on down, need to stop and think very
> > seriously about what can be done to preemptively mitigate the inevitable
> > embarressments which are sure to come (soon).
>
> They already do.

Gee, with attitudes like that, there's absolutely no way the great big
ursine paw of the universe won't swat you down :-)