Segmentation Faults and Paging Errors

The problem: Intermittent kernel paging errors, errors during shutdown which result in boot to runlevel 1 on reboot. After a second shutdown the system reboots properly.

My system - testing with a 2.4.22 kernel - was stable, no problems whatsoever.

Wishing to take advantage of USB 2, I downloaded the source and built kernel-2.6.0-test9. With this kernel I was unable to access my Netgear MA311 PCI Adapter. To solve this I downloaded and installed linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre14 from the tarball. At this point I began to have problems - segmentation faults - so I tried to go back to my original setup.

In /usr/src I have the following directories:

   linux
   kernel-source-2.4.22
   kernel-source-2.6.0-test9
   linux-wlan-ng-0.1.16-pre10
   linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre14

In directory linux-wlan-ng-0.1.16-pre10 I ran

   make mrproper
make config (choosing the pci option and pointing it at the kernel-source-2.4.22 directory)
   make all
   make install

and rebooted with the 2.4.22 kernel. I thought this should restore the original stable operation but it hasn't.

To confuse the issue, during this period I ran a dist-upgrade of the testing distribution. At this time it is fullly up-to-date.

Is it something I ate - i.e. the result of the dist-upgrade (I understand thatthe testing distribution is not guaranteed to be stable) or a problem introduced by linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre14? If the latter, why hasn't the return to the 2.4.22 kernel and the linux-wlan-ng-0.1.16-pre10 setup corrected the problem?

Tom