Re: Need a user-friendly, low-requirement desktop

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ilkka Lindroos" <ilkkal@rokki.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 9:13 AM
Subject: Re: Need a user-friendly, low-requirement desktop

> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 13:58, Alex Malinovich wrote:
> > In this particular case, however, I'm dealing with a Pentium 233
> > MHz with 32 MB of RAM. While I'd love to put Gnome and Nautilus
> > on there and call it a day, waiting 10 minutes for the desktop to
> > load and another 2 minutes for the file-manager just won't cut it
> > I'm afraid.
>
> I gave my old computer (P200, 32MB) to my brother, who had no
> experience with computers. I installed XFCE 3 and he's been very
> happy with that. I don't know if XFCE 4 needs more memory, but i
> doubt it. XFCE comes with filemanager (very fast) etc.

My main desktop is an old PII, 266Mhz and it does very well with KDE and all
the goodies. I haven't installed Debian on it, but had good success with
Mandrake and SuSE. I DID however, increase memory from 92MB to 384MB. That
made a great difference. If you can add more memory beyond the 32MB already
in there, you'll notice a big improvement.